Tuesday 10 May 2016

Ironing - not shirts though!!

Hello folks,
Thanks for visiting.  Wasn't it a fantastic weekend?  We had beautiful, sunny weather in Norfolk, so what was I doing?  Well, I arrived at the Diva Red workshop I run with my friend, Moira to find she had got an ironing board set up - a bit worrying!  Perhaps she had brought some shirts for us to iron between projects?
Fortunately not!  It was all part of the lovely card she had planned......
It started with a pack of serviettes...
The idea is that you adhere the serviette to a paper backing by using cling film.  Firstly separate the layers of the serviette, so you only have one layer then on the ironing board starting at the bottom, add a sheet of foil (to reflect the heat), then the paper, the cling film and the serviette topped with a sheet of baking parchment to protect the iron.  Then just iron with a very hot iron until the cling film melts and sticks the serviette to the paper.  You can then use it as a backing paper, a lovely way to use some of those pretty patterned serviettes.
I chose a beautiful blue and cream flowery one, cut it at an angle, stuck it to my card and cut round it.  I also used a spare strip across the bottom.  To embellish, I added some blue alcohol inks to a piece of acetate, stamped the Clarity Butterfly on the other side and cut out.
Someone did suggest it would be a nice way to keep a serviette from a special occasion - good idea!
If you do decide to have a go at this, make sure you leave things to cool a bit before picking them up and make sure you protect your iron with the parchment, you really don't want melted cling film on it!!  There are some clips on you tube which show it being done.
All the best,
Janet xx

11 comments:

  1. Lovely project and interesting technique , going on the must try list, thanks Moira and Janet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I just realised that I didn't mention that you need to separate the layers of the serviette, so you only use one layer - I've added it in now. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog xxx

      Delete
  2. What a good idea. Thanks for sharing Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, it is a lovely way to make use of some lovely napkins x

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely card! It sounds like a fun way to make background paper... I may give it a try! Enjoy the rest of your week! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling the ladies about the beautiful napkins they do in Switzerland - it would be lovely to use some of them xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great idea - I've got some rather nice napkins I could use. Thank you for the idea. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, it always seems a shame to just throw away some of the lovely napkins you can get, always nice to find a way to use them x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it was a lovely thing to do x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - I appreciate and enjoy reading them all xxx